by Scott Tousignant · Filed Under: Body Transformation
I love to pick the brains of my fellow physique artists with some of the greatest bodies around the world and discover the strategies that they have implemented to lose fat and gain muscle.
Recently I picked the brain of Obi Obadike, WBFF World Champion Fitness Model and creator of Accelerate Your Fat Loss. Obi has one of the greatest physiques that I’ve ever seen. In fact, I use a picture a Obi’s back muscles as a source of motivation to continue sculpting my body.
?1) A lot of people struggle to get themselves down to 4% body fat, but rarely do they ever maintain it. How difficult is it for you to maintain this level of leanness… what are your biggest challenges… and how do you overcome those challenges?
The biggest thing is how much food you eat. I love to eat food just like the next person and for me to stay lean all year round it comes down to my daily calorie consumption which doesn’t exceed 2500 calories and also I make sure that I am not eating junk food more than twice a week. I’ve trained myself not to eat too much food per day.
My biggest challenges is my diet as I think we all love to eat food that tastes good but is not really good for us health wise. Diet is 80 percent of the battle in how you look and the type of conditioning you can maintain throughout the year. First is your diet and second is your training and these two things will always dictate your current conditioning.??
2) Can you give us a general idea of your nutrition structure? For example, are you counting calories, do you follow a zig zag approach, how often to you allow for a treat?
I don’t really count calories too much but I cheat about twice a week and my cheat meals are like chicken soft tacos and French fries. If you even want count that as a cheat meal from a nutritional standpoint. My philosophy is eat good 5 days a week and then cheat twice a week which works well for me.??
3) I’ve heard you mention that your diet is kind of boring because you eat a lot of the same foods. I too am the same way and prefer it this way. Do you find that this allows for your eating to become more ‘automatic’, more habit, and easier to stick with?
Yes you are right my eating becomes very habit form and automatic because it is the same foods over and over again. I think at the end of the day it is falling in love with foods that are healthy for you whether it be chicken, turkey, brown rice, etc.??
4) When you want to go from 4% body fat to the leanest that you can possibly be, what changes do you have to make to your nutrition?
My nutrition will consist of just chicken and vegetables throughout the day and oatmeal in the morning. My calories are so low and I would say it is about 1200 to 1400 calories per day which gets me so lean so quickly. It is easier for me to get down to 2 to 3 percent then most people because I am at 4 percent all year round. I don’t need to consume much carbs to function throughout the day like most people.??
5) There’s countless training strategies that we can use to sculpt our body, what style of training do you prefer and why?
My weight-training is a very high intense program which consists of lots of super-setting and circuit-training which allows my training program to be a combination of anaerobic and aerobic training. You are constantly moving from one weight-training station to the next with very little rest which allows you to burn an infinite amount of calories and still build lean muscle slowly at the same time. This is really what my Accelerate Your Fat Loss System is all about. I also implement in my cardio program lots of sprints, plyometric exercises and high interval 3 mile runs. This way of training helps me stay lean on top of my diet.??
6) Mindset plays such a huge role in our success. Do you have any tips to offer about building a winning mindset, and are there any mindset strategies that you applied during your days as a competitive sprinter that you are applying today as a fitness model?
Never give up is my mentality that I apply as a fitness model and always working so hard. Both of these qualities helped me to become very successful as a sprinter. I see so many fitness models giving up so early in the game. You have to shoot and submit and shoot and submit. And if you are relentless some magazine will publish you somewhere around the world.?
7) I believe that our bodies are an extension and expression of our values, beliefs, and passion. What values and beliefs are most important in your life and what are you most passionate about?
My values and beliefs are doing the right things in life and never screwing anybody over. Another value I have is always helping people to be the best they can be in life. I love to help people out and see them succeed. It makes me feel good to help people out and I’ve done it so many times and I will never stop doing it. And then lastly using my knowledge and education in health and fitness to help enrich somebody’s health and fitness lifestyle which I am very passionate about.??
8) I like to think that body sculpting is a journey of self-discovery. What have you learned most about yourself during the past few years as a competitive fitness model?
What I’ve learned about sculpting is you can sculpt your body to whatever you want based on your genetic capability. I think it’s the coolest thing in the world to have pictures capture you sculpting your physique to the best of its ability. Some people can see that as vanity but some people can see it as someone that is an artist that is trying to sculpt their physique by optimizing their genetic potential through sound nutrition, sound diet and efficient training.??
9) Obviously for you, staying lean year round is important because you could be called for a photo shoot at any given moment. Do you have any suggestions to offer non-fitness models that may keep this same kind of incentive or motivation to stay lean and not fall back to old bad habits?
I think the suggestion I can give is to offer to non-fitness models is being in lean and in shape is about being healthy. Also you want to be happy with your physique and how you look because that happiness you have for yourself will allow you to be happy for your friends, family and other people. Also know that you being in shape will also motivate other people to be fit even if you’ve never shared a word to that person you have no idea how many people you motivate just by being fit.?
To learn more about the exact methods and strategies that Obi uses to sculpt an amazing physique, simply visit his website Accelerate Your Fat Loss